During the older age there is a straight relationship between right nutrition and good health. Proper nutrition helps to maintain a healthy body. Over the years, human body undergoes a lot of changes. After the peak, the body usually loses certain amount of muscle mass, there is a decrease in energy levels, reduced food intake, decreased ability to absorb food nutrients, and increase in fat mass. In addition, a person doesn’t exercise that often, not to mention of a possible signs of depression, stress, anxiety and use of drugs (health related) that affect the appetite.
These physical and emotional changes can lead to social and economic changes. They can also affect diet quality and the ability of eating food that provides the body with necessary vitamins and elements.
Here are some important advices which will help maintain health at any age, especially in the older age:
1) Variety. Good health begins with your diet. It provides the body with necessary level of all nutrients. There is no food which doesn’t provide any essential component to the body. However, most foods contain only some of necessary nutrients. Therefore, a healthy diet based on eating a variety of foods.
In order to get a wide range of vitamins and minerals, it is especially important to combine in the daily menu fruits and vegetables that have different colors. This way the body gets the most of antioxidants, dietary fiber, vitamins and minerals.
2) Dietary Supplements. Through diet alone it is difficult to acquire the necessary dose of vitamins and minerals for optimal body functioning. The population over the age of 65 usually lacks vitamins and minerals due to poor body absorption of vitamins and minerals at this age. Therefore, consuming dietary supplements is an effective way and the most practical way to maintain body’s health, prevent deficiencies and strengthen the immune system. Strong immune system will operate ideally in stressful situations, helping to reduce the risk of various diseases and contribute to slow down the aging process.
3) Regular meals. It is suggested to eat 3 meals a day: breakfast, lunch and dinner. In between you might want to snack on fruits, yogurt or a piece of bread with a jelly or chocolate spread. Meals contribute to increased metabolism, stable satiety, and balances blood sugar levels.
4) Water. Drink a glass of water during a meal, and 2 cups of water between the meals. To improve water’s taste you can add lemon or mint, or drink Halo Gonseen instead.
Lack of water can lead to medical problems such as constipation, hypertension, migraines and kidney stones. Studies showed that drinking 5 glasses of water a day reduces by 45% the risk of colon cancer, by 50% the risk of bladder cancer, and reduces by 79% the risk of breast cancer.
5) Smart shopping. It is recommended to buy and store small amount of food. It is also suggested cooking in small quantities that are enough for a day or two. Hence, you know you are eating fresh food. Be sure to pay attention to the expiration dates as well.
6) Social eating. When we around people, especially people we love, we tend to eat fast or even worse, not to pay attention to the amount of food or what type of food we eat. We are enjoying people’s company by joking and having fun that leads to distraction. Make sure to limit your food intake while social eating.
In summary, the older age brings with it many changes. On one hand, many people are enjoying their free time. On the other hand, some are developing various issues. Some complain about gastrointestinal problems, difficulty to maintain a healthy weight. Therefore, a balanced diet and keeping healthy weight are most important things at this stage in life.